Thursday, January 13, 2022

Up early







I got up early for the first time since I arrived in Paris. I walked over to the Musee d”Orsay. I was particularly taken by the work of Edouard Vuillard. In the first few images in this entry, Vuillard paints familiar domestic and landscape scenes. These paintings are very small. I particularly enjoy small scale works where the brushwork is intimate. Next, Marlene Dumas, the American artist, best known for her portrait work, displayed some landscape and still life images. I carefully examined her brushy quick marks. She uses canvases that appear to be store bought. The painting that resonated with me was the “Woman with a Parasol ” by  Claude Monet. The label copy explained that Monet was trying to merge the landscape and the figure which he found was difficult to do. My work combines memory of all things visual and psychological. I can relate to Monet’s quest to see beyond the representational image and integrate abstract thoughts into his work. I walked back to the studio along the Rue de Rivoli passing by the Louvre. I worked for 8 hours and completed 6 small watercolors on Arches watercolor paper. It was too late to post the work I finished today.

No comments:

Post a Comment