Thursday, January 5, 2023

The Eraser
















Today I was on a mission to pick up an eraser. On my way, I stopped at a cafe for an omelette lunch. I used French and I was understood! I used simple words but it was an improvement. Across from me sat three American airplane pilot instructors. I heard more than I wanted about their business. The usual talk of salaries, fellow employees they don’t like, pilot training mishaps and the overall state of the business as time goes by. They also talked about what they would do with their pay  increases such as landscaping and renovating bathrooms. I found an art supply store on my way to the Musee D’Orsay and picked up an eraser that was carefully placed in a tray that was presented to me by the salesman.  I walked to the Musee D’Orsay and it was crowded. I saw a variety of art  I didn’t focus on the last time I was there. Maurice Denis, Alexandre Cabanel, Gustavo Courbet and Eugene Delacroix are a few of the artists.  I saw some huge history paintings that were featured at the Salon in the mid-nineteenth century. They were the great history paintings of the time. I was really excited to see the work of Ernest Meissonier considered the greatest painter of 19th century France by the established Academy.  His work demanded outrageous prices and he was beloved by all. The work was an intimate scale and the subjects were mundane but he set the groundwork for the impressionists who focused on images of daily bourgeoisie life. There were a few Van Goghs that I recorded as well. The museum was packed with visitors.

No comments:

Post a Comment